Monday, February 1, 2010

Ichi

With my present mindset, disclosing the intention of this blog seems paramount. Myself and my colleague Headlong have decided to make a co-blog where both are thoughts could intermingle and to provide a forum for discussion on subjects in regards to Aikido.

Thoughts of the day:
This past Friday I was in class with Headlong, and I began to work on one of the chains, which reflects several of the moves in the Ni-Ju-San Kata. I was reminded that when I'm teaching how important is to be open minded. I was constantly corrected, and it was good and refreshing. The importance of understanding why you do things can never be understated. Now admittedly, I have a bad habit of messing with people while I teach them.
"But Balanced whatever do you mean?"
Simply put, I may start doing a technique, but I am quite prone to change the second step. This practice can infuriate the highly skilled and the newer members alike. However, I believe truly it trains better habits, but it does unfortunately eat time.

Question for Headlong:
Step by Step or Flowing?

-Balanced

No comments:

Post a Comment